Wednesday, December 03, 2014

Are your web security scanners good enough?

Are your web security scanners good enough? Note that use plural here as there is no silver bullet. There is no such thing as the perfect security tool.

More than two years ago I posted a self starting guide to get into penetration testing which brought some interest for some talks, consultancy hours and good friends. Not much have been changed until last month when in the Google Security Blog we learned that a new tool called Firing Range was been open sourced. I said to myself "finally we have a test bed for web application security scanners" and then the next question immediately popped up "Are the web security scanners I normally use good enough at detecting these well known vulnerabilities?". I would definitely like to get feedback private or public about tool results. For now I have asked 4 different open sourced tools about the plans to enhance their scanners so they can detect vulnerabilities like the ones Firing Range exposes. My tests so far are telling me that I need to look for other scanners as these 4 do not detect the exposed vulnerabilities. I have posted a comment to the Google post but it has not been authorized so far. I was after responding the main question in this post but then I realized that probably if everyone out there run their tests against their tools (free or paid) we could gather some information about those that are doing a better job as we speak in terms of finding Firing Range vulnerabilities. Here is the list of my questions so far:
  1. Can anybody share results (bad or good) about web application scanners running against Firing Range?
  2. Can anybody share other test bed softwares (similar to Firing Range) they are currently using, perhaps a cool honey pot for other to further test scanners?
  3. Skipfish: https://code.google.com/p/skipfish/issues/detail?id=209
  4. Nikto: I is a Web Server Scanner and not a Web Application Scanner https://github.com/sullo/nikto/issues/191
  5. w3af: https://github.com/andresriancho/w3af/issues/6451
  6. ZAP: https://code.google.com/p/zaproxy/issues/detail?id=1422

No comments:

Followers